The death toll of the novel coronavirus outbreak soared to 1,110 nationwide on Wednesday following 94 new deaths reported in the hard-hit Hubei province.
Hubei’s health commission reported on its daily update that there are another 1,638 new cases in the central province — the ground zero of the virus since it emerged in December
Overall, based on previously released figures from China, there are now more than 44,200 confirmed cases across the country.
The new strain of the virus is believed to have originated last year in a market that sells wild animals in Wuhan City, Hubei province.
In a conference in Geneva, the World Health Organization (WHO) officially named the virus as “COVID-19”. The health organization said that countries have a huge chance of stopping the spread of the virus globally.
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, head of the WHO, said on Tuesday that while 99 percent of cases are in China, where it remains “very much an emergency,” it also “has a very significant threat to the rest of the world.”
On Tuesday, Chinese authorities dismissed two senior health officials from Hubei, where tens of millions of people have been under lockdown since last month and intensified restrictions in Wuhan.