Diabetes is a condition that impairs the body’s ability to process blood glucose, otherwise known as blood sugar. Different kinds of diabetes can occur, and managing the condition depends on the type. Not all forms of diabetes stem from a person being overweight or leading an inactive lifestyle. In fact, some are present from childhood.
Type 1 diabetes occurs when your immune system, the body’s system for fighting infection, attacks and destroys the insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreas. Scientists think type 1 diabetes is caused by genes and environmental factors, such as viruses that might trigger the disease.
Ways to avoid getting diabetes.
- Cut Sugar and Refined Carbs From Your Diet.
- Work Out Regularly.
- Drink Water as Your Primary Beverage.
- Lose Weight If You’re Overweight or Obese.
- Quit Smoking.
- Follow a Very-Low-Carb Diet.
- Watch Portion Sizes.
- Avoid Sedentary Behaviors.