Vice-President Leni Robredo said that it was “shameful” that other nations seemed to be more concerned about the drug war killings in the Philippines that most officials do.
“Nakakahiya naman yata na iba pa iyong nakapansin, iba pa iyong nagmamalasakit, iba pa iyong nababahala,” Robredo said on her radio program, Biserbisyong Leni, on Sunday.
On July 4, Iceland filed a draft resolution before the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in order to urge them to probe the increasing number of killings in the Philippines. And last week, 37 countries backed up this resolution.
The UNHRC is yet to vote on the resolution and if approved, it will request Michelle Bachelet, human rights commissioner, to create a comprehensive report on the killings under the Philippines’ anti-drug campaign and present it to the council.
Robredo also added that the situation in the Philippines have placed the country in line with countries known to have significant human rights violations, including Afghanistan and Sudan.
“Noong una kong nabasa iyon, parang nakakapanlumo na nakahilera na tayo—ilang bansa iyong kinall iyong attention doon. Ang mga kahilera na natin…Afghanistan, Sudan, ‘di ba, iyong mga bansa na kilalang-kilala sa mga human rights violations, kahilera na tayo,” the vice-president said.
Moreover, she expressed disappointment that other nations were the ones to call for an investigation and not the Filipino officials.
“Iyong sa akin lang, iyong ibang bansa nababahala para sa atin. Pero dito sa atin, parang ang nababahala yata kaunting-kaunti lang. Parang business as usual para sa lahat, kahit ang daming patayan na nangyayari, parang wala lang,” Robredo said.
Robredo’s response to Bato’s remarks on death of a child in a drug raid
The vice-president also responded to Sen. Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa’s remarks on the death of a three year old girl in drug raid, saying that “collateral damage” would not occur if the campaign’s irregularities were confronted..
“Hindi puwedeng sabihin na ‘talagang nangyayari iyan,’ kasi kapag inaayos naman natin iyong kampanya, hindi naman dapat nangyayari iyan. Iyong sa akin lang, iyong pinakahuling nangyari, dapat wake-up call ito sa lahat na ito na iyong huli,” she said.
“Pero kung wala tayong gawin—kahit may nangyari nang ganito, wala tayong gawin, kasalanan na natin iyon,” Robredo added.
She also said that the reaction is provoking and making it seem to reduce the victims to statistics.
Robredo said, “Parang numero lang, talagang nangyayari. Hindi nakikita iyong mukha, iyong dalamhati, iyong pamilyang naiiwan.”
Also, she added, “Kapag pinatay mo, pinipilay mo iyong buong pamilya—hindi lang pilay, parang pinapatay mo din iyong buong pamilya,”
Robredo also pointed out that thousands have already died in Duterte’s war on drugs, yet the problem persists.
In addition, Robredo mentioned that many have already been killed in Duterte’s drug war, yet no actions are done to resolve the issue.
She said, “Alam natin iyong problema sa droga, nandiyan pa din. In fact, iyong report mismo ng pamahalaan, lalo pang dumami: lalo pang dumami iyong supply ng droga, lalo pang dumami iyong mga nalululong. So ang gustong sabihin, iyong pamamaraan na ginagamit, hindi epektibo. Kailan ba tayo magigising?”