Director confirms SEA Games 2019 lighting ceremony pre-recorded

0
136
sea-games-2019-lighting-ceremony-pre-recorded
Boxing champ and Senator Manny Pacquiao during the lighting ceremony of the SEA Games 2019.

The creative director of the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games 2019 confirmed on Tuesday that the lighting ceremony of the event was pre-recorded. 

Earlier, SEA Games organizers had avoided claims that the lighting of the cauldron was taped and not live. 

Director Floy Quintos said they had to be ready for the inclement weather due to ‘Typhoon Tisoy’ which was previously reported to threaten the staging of biennial sports meet

“We were working with a Filipino and foreign team and we were all in agreement that no one can tell what the weather will be like. It’s a creative solution,” Quintos said in ANC’s Early Edition interview.

“Given the month it was happening, the original idea was to beam it. But anything could happen, at times like that you err on being sigurista. If it can happen live, why not but the storm is coming, we don’t know what the weather could be like,” he added.

According to Quintos, they only did their jobs as creators. 

“I think people are angry and concerned about it (cauldron) and rightly they should be. But as creators, our job really is to make sure nothing goes wrong,” he pointed out. 

Prior to this issue, the P50 million cauldron also earned criticisms after Sen. Franklin Drilon said it was an “unnecessary extravagance” and could have been allotted for the construction of 50 classrooms. 

However, President Rodrigo Duterte came to its defense, saying the price was worth it as it is the “product of the mind” of a national artist. 

‘Sumobra dunong’: Sotto slams critics

Meanwhile, Senate President Vicente Sotto III slammed critics of the pre-recorded lighting ceremony.

He cited that the same thing happened during the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics, Queen Elizabeth and James Bond’s segment specifically, but none criticized it.

“Walang umangal. Dito sa atin reklamo ang mga epal bakit daw hiwalay at recorded ‘yung lighting ni Manny,” he said.

“I will not be surprised if these people are praying that we do not win!”

Moreover, Sotto mentioned that these bashers have gone out of line as they also attacked performers including Ryan Cayabyab, Eloisa Matia, and Jimmy Antiporda. 

“Sumobra na dunong ng mga pintasero,” he said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here