Malacañang called out the Philippine SEA Games Organizing Committee (PHISGOC) officials to tell that critics have a point and just accept their judgments to do better.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo told the organizers on Thursday, Nov. 28, to be open to learn from the negative comments on how they had been serving the athletes before the official opening of the biennial sporting event on Nov. 30.
“The critics have a point. There is indeed something wrong with the preparations… These should be accepted and considered in order to rectify the errors it has committed,” he said in a statement.
“While organizing multi-sport events has always been complex for host countries… PHISGOC should perform better services expected of them,” added the President’s spokesman.
Meanwhile, House Speaker and chair of PHISGOC Alan Peter Cayetano believed that majority of the negative issues are merely falsifications.
“Ang akin lang pakiusap, huwag niyong siraan ang sariling bansa, ang sarili niyong hosting. Bakit po? 95 percent ng lumabas na sinabi niyong gustong imbestigahan, hindi ba fake news?” Cayetano said.
Media on spreading SEA Games ‘fake news’
However, the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) justified its side, saying that media “has always been to report things as they are, based on verifiable facts, and not to pander to anyone’s perception of what is, or should be.”
Regardless, PHISGOC President Abraham Tolentino and COO Ramon Suzara pleaded the media to instead publish positive stories that could boost the morale of the Filipino athletes.
With all the attacks of “fake news” regarding the hosting, Panelo also asked the public to be more cautious in reading and believing news and social media posts.
Moreover, he asked the media to refrain from getting information from unverified sources.
According to Panelo, the Office of the President will have a commission to probe the inconveniences in the SEA Games right after the games ended on December 11.